We have all heard of the term ‘self-care’ before… but what does this mean? The World Health Organization describes self-care as “what people do for themselves to establish and maintain health, and to prevent and deal with illness. It is a broad concept encompassing hygiene (general and personal), nutrition (type and quality of food eaten), lifestyle (sporting activities, leisure, etc), environmental factors (living conditions, social habits, etc), socio-economic factors (income level, cultural beliefs, etc), and self-medication.”
Simply put, self-care encompasses the things we do to take care of ourselves so we can be healthy and happy. To help you get started with your self-care habits, below are 25 self-care ideas for you to choose from:
1. Drink herbal tea.
2. Say positive affirmations to yourself.
3. Write a list of 10 things you are grateful for.
4. Light your favourite candle.
5. Have a bath.
6. Take 10 deep breaths.
7. Read a book.
8. Cook your favourite meal.
9. Watch the sunrise or sunset (or both!).
10. Go for a walk.
11. Diffuse some essential oils.
12. Phone a friend or family member to say hi.
13. Get a massage.
14. Follow up on doctors or dentist appointments.
15. Dance to your favourite song.
16. Turn your phone off.
17. Watch a movie.
18. Go to sleep an hour earlier.
19. Have a big glass of water.
21. Complete a puzzle.
22. Play with your pet.
23. Reorganize and declutter your space.
24. Listen to a podcast.
25. Write down inspirational quotes.