Have you ever noticed a thought or feeling that gets in the way of you doing something you really want to do? If you have, you’re not alone, and fortunately, there are steps you can take that move you closer to the life you want to live.
The Thoughts and Feelings Stream:
Imagine your thoughts and feelings as an endless stream that continuously provides information about yourself, others, experiences, memories, and bodily sensations…truthfully, the thoughts and feelings stream provides endless information about almost everything and anything! And sometimes, we get stuck on a thought or feeling that moves us away from living our desired life. So, the best way to get unstuck from that thought or feeling is to make towards moves.
Towards moves are the actions we can take that move us closer to our goals, regardless of what a thought or feeling is doing. Here are some tips to start making those towards moves:
- Remember that your thoughts and feelings come and go – you decide which thoughts and feelings to attend to.
- Start to recognize when you get stuck on a thought or feeling (what were you doing? what was the outcome?).
- Avoid labelling every thought or feeling – especially the ones perceived as wrong, unhelpful, or irrational.
- Set realistic goals for yourself, then commit to the actions you need to take to accomplish them.
- Understand that towards moves don’t always require large or extravagant actions; sometimes, the subtlest actions are the most powerful.
If you are interested in learning more about how you attend to your thoughts and feelings and ways you can start towards moves, or want to develop skills for setting meaningful goals, you can book a complimentary consultation at www.serenitynowwellness.ca or by calling (403) 454-7600.