I just received the unfortunate news that my friend was permanently laid off from his job. He worked for his company for several years and they decided that the impact of COVID-19 was far too great to bring him back.
With so many people struggling with layoffs during this time, I thought it would be a good idea to do some research on how people can manage their mental health during this time.
An article from Stanford University offers some great tips to help people who have just been laid off. Some of the highlights of the article include:
1. Keep connected with friends, family, and loved ones.
2. Don’t be afraid to ask for help and accept it if it is needed.
3. Keep your body (and mind!) healthy through proper nutrition, exercise, etc.
4. Do things you enjoy doing and foster self-care.
5. Manage the things you can control and ‘keep a positive mental attitude’.
* If you find yourself struggling with your mental health during a layoff, please feel free to contact myself at email@example.com or book online here for a free 15 minute consultation. Or feel free to ask about our therapists who offer a sliding scale fee.