Acupuncture is a component of Traditional Chinese Medicine that utilizes the insertion of needles into the skin at specific points to stimulate the body’s energy or Qi (“Chee”).
In Traditional Chinese Medicine the health of the body is based on the quantity and balance of Qi. Qi flows through the body in channels called meridians. Meridians are like rivers that nourish cells, tissues, organs, glands, muscles, and joints. A blockage or decreased amount of Qi in a meridian, much like a dam in a river, can lead to disease, or illness susceptibility.
Acupuncture – the insertion of very thin, sterilized needles at specific points along the meridians stimulates local tissue and the flow of Qi along the meridian.
- Relieve pain by stimulating the release of endorphins (the body’s natural painkillers)
- Improve mood by regulating neurotransmitters including serotonin
- Reduce chronic or acute inflammation
- Balance and support the immune system
The World Health Organization recommends acupuncture for a variety of conditions including:
- Chronic pain
- Acute pain
- Depression and anxiety
- Allergies and asthma
- Digestive issues (IBS, nausea, vomiting, peptic ulcer, ulcerative colitis)
- Hormonal issues (PMS, menopause, dysmenorrhea, fertility, PCOS)
- Type II diabetes mellitus
- And more!
To book an appointment with our Naturopathic Doctor, please click here.