Breathing exercises can be an excellent tool to help with stress relief and to help ground oneself in times of emotional dysregulation. It can be powerful in calming both the body and the mind. One such breathing tool that can be used is Colour Breathing.
How to do it:
- Get comfortable – sit or lie down in a way that feels comfortable for you and in a spot where you have privacy. Use pillows, blankets, or props as you’d like.
- Gently close your eyes and begin with slow breaths. Inhale through the nose and exhale out through the mouth.
- Envision a state or emotion that you wish to bring into yourself and assign it a colour. Do you want to invoke happy thoughts, calmness, or serenity? What about bravery and courage?
- Visualize the colour, noticing the hues within it.
- Continue to take deep breaths while holding onto that colour. Think about what this colour represents for you.
- As you inhale, imagine the colour washing over your body, filling your body from head to toe. Imagine this colour entering every body part, including your toes, fingertips, and ears.
- As you exhale through your mouth, imagine the unwanted emotions out of your body. What would you like to get rid of? This might be stress, anxiety, anger, or fear.
- Continue the above steps for 1-2 more minutes, or as long as you would like.